Sunday, February 13, 2011

Master Copy #2**

** #1 goes by the title Swipe Spot #11


"I'm not a master. I'm a student-master, meaning that I have the knowledge of a master and the expertise of a master, but I'm still learning. So I'm a student-master. I don't believe in the word 'master.' I consider the master as such when they close the casket." - Bruce Lee




Seek, study, learn, employ! Nothing provides greater insight into a work of art than copying. Listing subtle revelations that can be discovered would be useless. You will appreciate only by doing!


EDMUND F. WARD (American, 1892-1991). Satyrs, Rubens copy. Oil on board. 20 x 16

Peter Paul Rubens, Two Satyrs, 1618-19

Copies by E.F. Ward, illustrator, painter, politician, friend and one time studio-mate of Norman Rockwell.

E. F. WARD (1892 - 1991) . Brangwyn copy, circa 1920s . Oil on canvas . 16 x 24

Frank Brangwyn, title (you tell me)

More thoughts on copying, and another one after Brangwyn can be found here~ http://ericbowmanartist.blogspot.com/2011/02/master-copies.html



I can understand missing the Brangwyn* …but the Rubens?!?


* (I guess) (or should that be jest?)

2 comments:

  1. The E.F. Ward copy is fascinating. I guess every artist worth his salt was a Bragwyn-o-phile between 1910 and 1935. No doubt Rockwell too, as evidenced by his Land of Enchantment mural and chunky brushwork in the late 20s. I think Brangwyn was to illustrators back then, what Frazetta was to illustrators from 1967-1990.

    The title of the Brangwyn piece is The Return From the Promised Land (or Return of the Messengers from the Promised Land) which, apparently, is still kept in the vaults of the Johannesburg Art Gallery since 1904, not on display. (Who knows?)

    Btw, if you ever have the inclination, I'd love to see some more stuff from Charles Lasar's practical hints for art students book. It hasn't yet been digitized and I can't get it through my library system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was Brangwyn's synthesis of painterly realism and graphic design that attracted so many. HIs effective combination is useful, for despite the real size difference between a mural and magazine illustration, both need to read and attract at near the same sight-size in relation to the viewer.

    Title noted, and unbelievable!

    I'll browse and scan a few select pages.

    ReplyDelete